LORDSHIP IMPROVEMENT ASSOCIATION

LIAcover

July 24, 1924 - LORDSHIP FINDS ROAD IMPROVING NOT BLESSING: Road improvement undoubtedly has its advantages, but according to many of the residents here, particularly those along Hillside Avenue, it is not an unmixed blessing. A secret vigilance composed of Lordship citizens, hereafter will report speeding cars to the police for prosecution, speeding having much increased here since the roads have been improved. Before the Lordship Improvement Association got busy and initiated its much appreciated road fixing program, motorists may have used a great deal of uncomplimentary language on the state of highways in Lordship, but never did the people in Lordship have to complain of speeding motorists.

March 11, 1925 - LORDSHIP SHORE ROAD IMPROVED BY SCRAPER: Protests from L. E. Nunnold and other members of the Lordship Improvement Association about the condition of the meadow road connecting Lordship with Hollister Avenue, Bridgeport, has brought action from the town authorities and yesterday a road scraper started work on the road, removing the deep ruts and hillocks which made the thoroughfare almost impassable. This thoroughfare is privately owned but it is used so extensively by residents of the Lordship section that it was felt that the town should take some action to put the road in a passable condition.

LIA History of Lordship

LIA History of Lordship

April 14, 1925 - STREETS ACCEPTED: A number of streets in the Lordship district were accepted as town thoroughfares. These were Gorham Street, First Avenue, Pauline Street, Hillside Street, Ocean Avenue, Margarita Lawn and Lordship Road, between Ocean Avenue and Stratford Road. A large delegation of property owners in this section, headed by L. E. Nunnold, of the Lordship Improvement Association, appeared in favor of acceptance.

June 15, 1925 - SUNDAY SCHOOL AT LORDSHIP TO CHANGE ITS HOURS: Services during July to Be Held at 9:30 in the Morning: The Lordship Sunday school council at its meeting on Friday evening voted to change its hour of worship for July from 3 o'clock in the afternoon to 9:30 in the morning; also to observe Children's day on the last Sunday in July, which will be the school's third birthday, and which anniversary will be celebrated together with Children's day. After the business-meeting, which was held in the Larsen home in First Avenue, Mrs. Larsen served luncheon. The Womens Auxiliary has planned to hold its utility sale on Tuesday, June 30th, In the Lordship club rooms. The L. G. H club will serve tea to the patrons who visit the sale and it is hoped that a substantial sum will be realized from it to add to the church building fund. A membership drive will be launched on Wednesday evening by the Lordship Manor Improvement Association under the captaincy of Albert S Anderson. The present members will meet at the casino at 7:30, and drive in pairs, to visit the entire populace of the community, to enlist their interest in the work of the local civic organization. Although a good showing has been made by the little organization in its short existence, there is still so much left to be accomplished that a full quota membership would help to make attainable, that it is hoped a hundred per cent membership may be reached.

August 22, 1925 - LORDSHIP ASSOCIATION WILL MEET TO DISCUSS ROAD NEEDS: Meet to Discuss Road Needs: Special Meeting of Body Is Called to Determine Policy for the Coming Year Stratford Road Is Extended Considerable Length: President Nunnold of the Lordship Improvement Association has called a special meeting of that body to discuss plans for road improvement of next year. The members of the Association are in favor of embarking on a plan of campaign to make the Lordship roads the best of any community of corresponding size in the state. The Stratford Road has recently been extended from Second Avenue to Fourth Avenue at considerable expense. A summary of the work of the Association in this endeavor from July 1924 to July of this year has been prepared and will be offered to the Association at the coming meeting. Members of the Association in discussing their attempts to make the roads of Lordship passable refused to comment at length on the probable action of the Stratford Town Council in accepting the newly completed extension to the Stratford-Lordship road. Several months ago the residents of Lordship were raised to the stage of indignation when the town council refused to accept certain roads until further work was done on them at the expense of the Lordship people. After considerable wrangling the Town council voted to accept the roads and in the spring of this year took over eight pieces of road that had been prepared and re-graded by the Association. The increasing number of automobiles and added motor facilities for reaching Lordship make the improvements a dire need. It is expected that the school situation will be discussed at the meeting and methods sought to increase the growing need of additional school facilities.

August 26, 1925: LORDSHIP SOCIETY PUBLISHES YEARLY SUMMARY OF WORK: Town Meeting Will Discuss Added Fire Protection Other Notes: Since the consideration of added fire protection will constitute the main subject at the special meeting called by President Nunnold of the Lordship Improvement Association on Wednesday evening at 8 o'clock in the Fire Hall, it is especially hoped that the members of the local fire company will be present in full number. A plan of road-work for the next season will also be discussed. An interesting and detailed summary of the past year's work of the Lordship Manor Improvement Association has been sent out to all residents in the colony. It shows how much can be accomplished though it is considered that "the work which has been accomplished is only a scratch on the surface by a few when they work without let-up, but also suggests that if their efforts are unsupported they are bound to become exhausted. There are so many beneficiaries who it is hoped, will be able to find it possible to enter into the cooperative work of the others this coming season, thereby making It possible to accomplish a great deal more in the short season open to improvement. A special note of appreciation for the "encouragement and assistance of the Town Council and Town manager, R. H. Hunter, in making improvements in the district is included in the summary. Since the inception of Association into community affairs the town government has cooperated to a considerable extent in the bodys activities for civic improvement. G. E. Ruther treasurer, reports upon an appended account also sent with the summary, a very substantial balance in the treasury available for immediate use, if necessary.

1955LordshipDirectory4

1955 LIA Notes

LIA

LIA today

LIAbrochure

LIA today

August 28, 1925 - LORDSHIP ASSOCIATION ASKS STRATFORD TO BUY EQUIPMENT: Special Meeting of Improvement Society Approves of Action - Seek Legal Reestablishment of Building Line - Transact Other Important Business: A large attendance at the meeting of the Lordship Improvement Association held Wednesday evening, discussed the need of added fire protection for community, and a vote was taken to apply to the Town Council for complete new equipment, including a motor-propelled 750 foot hose apparatus. The latter is felt to be especially needed because of the distance likely to be involved, with the possibility of day time emergencies, when there are no men on the territory available to drag a long hose by hand. As it has been proposed to the Council who have it under consideration at present that the town centralize its fire department, the heavier equipment will doubtless be housed in Stratford. It is considered reasonable that such equipment as fire engines and trucks can be as quickly dispatched to the outlying districts from a central point. It would take a telephone for local volunteer firemen to get such equipment out and into service. Authentic information, which has been given an official of the Association regarding the expiration of the effectiveness of the old building lines, was also presented. Building lines of the past have been established only by the development company as restriction-lines. As these old restrictions became ineffective January, 1925, it was voted to take immediate steps to effect the legal establishment of the old lines. Applications to the Town Council will also be made by the Association for permanent construction work on Pauline Street from the Lordship entrance to the Casino and on Hillside Avenue to the Ocean Avenue turn of the bus line route. This heavily-used stretch of highway has always been a particularly mean one to negotiate with either comfort or safety.

September 9, 1925 - LORDSHIP CLUB OPEN HOUSE IS SUCCESSFUL: A thoroughly good time was enjoyed by all who attended the first "open house" of the Lordship club which was held on Saturday evening in the clubrooms. Several tables of bridge provided the main part of the entertainment, it being the most popular choice of those present. The billiard table, too was busy all evening. Mrs. Ralph Teeple and P. R. Bowen, who were hostesses for the occasion, served cakes and coffee.

September 11, 1925 - LORDSHIP WATCHES VAN YORX CAMPAIGN: Announcement has been made that any persons who have applied to be made voters must go to the Town Hall in Stratford, September 19 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. daylight-saving time. Much local interest is felt in the recent nomination of Harry Van Yorx for councilman to succeed himself from the first district. Although the other section of the first district Avon Park, is two miles away from Lordship, Mr. "Van Yorx has made many friends in it because of his impartiality in presenting all matters concerning his district. In the Lordship section he has the unanimous support of his constituents. He is regarded in the colony as one of the most public-spirited of its citizens, having served as resident of the Lordship Manor Improvement Association during its first year and a half of existence, which was a difficult period because of the shaping and establishment of its improvement policy, which has been so successful. He was also president of the Lordship Country Club for several years, and its recent-reorganization, when he retired from office of the club and also of the civic body because of his appointment to the council to finish the term of the late Herbert Sniffen, who died in late winter. Mr. Van Yorx was nominated by petitions of the entire local community and of the South End Improvement club, which were posted with the town-clerk Miss Morehouse, last Saturday. A meeting of the Lordship club was held Tuesday evening, President Teeple presiding. A tentative plan of winter-activities was discussed, and it was decided to have affairs of general interest every second Saturday evening, in the order of two dances followed by a card party as every third affair. The first dance of the schedule will be held on the 19th, when the house-committee will have charge of the arrangements. Members of this committee are, Charles Franz, Mrs. Robert E. Fisher. Mrs. C. V. Bunting, and Thomas Middleton, Jr. Leslie Moore was appointed to take charge of supplying music during he winter. A schedule of committees to serve as hosts at respective occasions will be posted shortly.

December 21, 1925 - ASSOCIATION ASKS HOLLISTER AVENUE BE PAVED BY CITY: Lordship Manor Improvement Association has petitioned the Mayor for a permanent pavement to be laid on Hollister Avenue from Stratford Avenue to the City line, which is located at the first bridge. This short stretch of road is the main approach to the meadow and is so dented with holes as to make almost unwieldy digressions necessary for busses and other auto traffic. A shallow sifting of gravel has been the usual form of repair to date, and has always proved to be of a very temporary nature. At times a detour through Wilmot Avenue, where conditions are also dangerous and unfavorable, has had to be reported to.

March 11, 1926: LORDSHIP ROAD IMPROVEMENTS: Through the efforts of the Lordship Improvement Association the colony has been assured of permanent roads as soon as the weather permits of their laying. The roads affected are Hillside Avenue, Pauline Street from the housing company property east to Hillside Avenue. The Association has appointed Harry Guckert of Stratford Road to drag Gorham Street (now Washington Parkway) and First Avenue at the earliest possible date.

July 14, 1927 - LORDSHIP ORGANIZATION MEMBERSHIP GROWS: Three years ago the Lordship Manor Improvement Association was organized under the leadership of Henry Van York and a membership of seven Lordship residents. Today it has a membership of 71 and large financial resources. Its remarkable growth is attributed by members to the fact that the members of the organization have ever since its inception lived to its original aim "the creating and carrying out of these procedures which best tend to advance Lordship as a whole. The motto of this organization is "One for all." The present officers of the Lordship Manor Improvement Association are President L.E. Nunnold, vice president Joseph Larsen, Treasurer Leslie Vaughn, chairman of the parks committee Albert Near, and chairman of the membership committee Ernest Helm.

June 18, 1927 - NUNNOLD CHOSEN TO HEAD LORDSHIP BODY THIRD TIME: A successful year, a great measure of development work and the co-operation of the Stratford Town Council were the outstanding features of the past 12 months as revealed at the meeting on Thursday night of the Lordship Improvement Association. With a total membership of 71 and with a large amount of work to its credit the Lordship Improvement Association is considered an asset to the seaside community, and through its efforts a great deal of the improvement and development work that has characterized the past 12 months has been accomplished. At a well attended meeting on Thursday night the following officers were elected for the ensuing year: president, Louis E. Nunnold; vice-president, J. Larsen; secretary, Ray Hawley; treasurer, Leslie Vaughan; park committee, Albert Near; membership committee, Eric Helm; road committee, Louis Nunnold. Mr. Nunnold is now entering his office as president for the third term. During the year a set of new street signs has been installed by the association, trees have been planted, the roads have been oiled, new roads have been opened up and repairs effected on existing highways and a number of other items of improvement work done. Mr. Nunnold told the meeting that as a result of the co-operation between the Association and the Stratford Town Council, which was of a particularly harmonious nature, more work has been carried out for the improvement of the district than ever before. Among the matters included on the program for the new term to be taken up is the necessity of the opening up of additional streets caused by the rapid building activity now being evidenced all over Lordship. A better and more adequate school building is badly needed and a request is being prepared to the educational authorities asking for a new structure of brick to supersede the present wooden building which is said to be far too small for the present needs of the Lordship school area. In order to properly direct automobilists and other visitors who come into Lordship Park, the Association is arranging to erect signs at the Park entrance, giving specific and clear directions where to find the many spots of interest that Lordship possesses. The early and active warfare against the tent-caterpillar on the part of the Association this season has resulted in but little damage to trees and garden greenery. In a recent visit by the Stratford town manager to Lordship he stated that the cordiality extended to the council by the Lordship people and the reasonableness of their requests for improvement in the way of public work was extremely gratifying and tended to create a happy spirit of harmony and encouragement which would go a long way to enabling the Council to do all in its power for Lordship.

August 28, 1928: LORDSHIP ASSOCIATION ASKS STRATFORD TO BUY EQUIPMENT: Special Meeting of Improvement Society Approves of Action Seek Legal Reestablishment of Building Line - Transact Other Important Business: A large attendance at the meeting of the Lordship Improvement Association held Wednesday evening, discussed the need of added fire protection for community, and a vote taken to apply to the Town Council for complete new equipment, including a motor-propelled 750 foot hose apparatus. The latter is thought to be especially needed because of the distance likely to be involved with the possibility of daytime emergencies, when there are no men on the territory available to drag a long hose by hand. As it has been proposed to the Council who have it under consideration at present that the town centralize its department, the heavier equipment will doubtless be housed in Stratford. It is considered reasonable that such equipment as Fire engines and trucks can be as quickly dispatched to the outlying districts from a central point. It would take a telephone for local volunteer firemen to get such equipment out and into service. Authentic information, which has been given an official of the Association regarding the expiration of the effectiveness of the old building lines, was also presented. Building lines of the past have been established only by the development company as restriction-lines. As these old restrictions became ineffective January, 1925, it was voted to take immediate steps to effect the legal establishment of the old lines. Applications to the Town Council will also be made by the Association for permanent construction work on Pauline Street from the Lordship entrance to the Casino and on Hillside Avenue to the Ocean Avenue turn of the bus line route. This heavily used stretch of highway has always been a particular one to negotiate with either comfort or safety.

LIA1926

LIA 1926

LIA1930report

LIA 1930 report

LIA1931report

LIA 1931 report

LIA1932report

LIA 1932 report

LIA1934firemen

LIA 1934 firemen

LIA1934parks

LIA 1934 parks

May 1935: JAMES MACINTYRE HEADS LORDSHIP BODY: At the annual business meeting of the Lordship Improvement Association held this week in the Fire Hall at Lordship, the reports of the various officers and chairmen of committees were made, after which the election of officers was held, with James MacIntyre elected president; vice president, Charles Lindstrom; treasurer, Walter Forstrom; secretary, Herbert Wickham; financial secretary, Vincent Ketcham. The chairmen of the various committees were elected as follows: Park committee, Christian Johnson; roads, Eric Helm; ways and means, Carl Hammond; entertainment, Mrs. Vincent Ketcham, membership, Mrs. I.A. Bowen; publicity Mrs. T. H. Middleton; life guards, Vincent Foley and tree warden, John Bedell. Mrs. T. H. Middleton was appointed delegate to the Stratford Child Welfare Council. Following the business meeting the members adjourned to the main hall with their guests where a program was put on by the Lordship Girl Scouts, after which refreshments were served by the ladies of the entertainment committee. During the refreshment hour, short addresses were made by Town Manager Donald Sammis, President J.R. MacIntyre and Vice President Charles Lindstrom.

January 17, 1941: LORDSHIP IMPROVEMENT ASSOCIATION TO MEET AT CHURCH THURSDAY: Many Grave Problems Face Section Including High Rental Of School Auditorium: The executive committee of the Lordship Improvement Association has called a meeting of all residents of Lordship Park for Thursday evening, January 16 at the Community Church. Circulars distributed throughout Lordship this week did not stated the specific purpose of the meeting but announced that the general subject would be existing conditions and problems of the future etc. An invitation to all Lordship Park people to join the Association was extended in the call to the meeting and the following postscript closed the message: We had planned to hold this meeting in the auditorium of the Lordship School, but owing to the exorbitant rates charged by the board of education we find it necessary to use the Community Church. Upon inquiry by the Stratford News from the office of the board of education it was learned that the cost of renting the auditorium of the school is $7.50 for an evening. Of this $7.50, the janitor receives $3. The balance goes for heat and light. Any group however, that can get along with a class room can get use of it for only $3 per night. There are so many problems affecting Lordship that it is not likely they can all be settled in one evenings discussion. Lordship is just full of headaches. What is to be done about the prospects of Peggy Doyle Duane selling her property to Father Divine? How can the town council be prevented from reducing the number of planning board members and eliminating a Lordship representative entirely? What is to be done about that stranger who came down Washington Parkway several nights ago and disturbed Attorney George Ferrios sleep early in the morning? What is the idea of the town manager refusing to allow any money for a piece of new fire equipment for Lordship and after Lordship had a three hour grass fire to show how necessary the equipment was? What can be done to divert perigee tides from the Lordship Road and have them overflow the carnival grounds permanently? Could the WPA art project erect something to produce the illusion of a bluff to take the place of the one that is being dug away? Are there fifth columnists in the park leaving bombs around where children can get them and blow their hands to pieces? Are there too many Democrats moving into Lordship? What should be Lordships stand internationally when it is exposed to Stuka bombers from Axis powers and a program of government housing for airplane workers from President Roosevelt? Which fate would be more desirable? How can business be chased out of Lordship and kept out? How can Lordship be made happy and contented like the rest of Stratford? There are only a few of the many burning issues that have piled up on the Improvement Associations since its recent organization.

HarryVanYorx

Harry Van Yorx

LIApopulars

LIA Plants Populars

November 10, 1950: LORDSHIP CLUBS MEET: The Lordship Improvement Association were hosts at their regular meeting Thursday, November 2 in the Fathers Club hall to representatives of the different clubs of Lordship who spoke about their organizations and their functions. Those who spoke included: Don Johnson of the Lordship Boy Scouts; Mrs. Joseph Williams of the Lordship Brownies; Captain John Herman of the Lordship Volunteer Fire Department; Jim Ketcham, Lordship Fathers Club; Ken Fredrickson of the Lordship Sea Explorers; Mrs. William Geer of the Lordship Cub Scouts; Mrs. Fred Biebel of the Lordship Girl Scouts; Mrs. Marty Tristine of the Lordship PTA; Irv Schofield of the Lordship Jetty Club; Mrs. Thomas Evans of the Ladies Auxiliary of the Lordship Community Church; Ken Ottaway of the Married Couples Club of the Lordship Community Church; Marty Tristine of the Mens League of Our Lady of Peace Church and Mrs. William Rabineau of the Womens Guild Our Lady of Peace Church.

June 14, 1956: The regular monthly meeting of the Lordship Improvement Association will be held Thursday June 28 at 8 pm in the Red Mens Hall on Stratford Road. The Association held their yearly beach cleanup last Tuesday evening where hot coffee and doughnuts were served to the willing workers.

July 5, 1956: LIA BANS OUTSIDERS FROM BEACH: Noisy Teen Parties, Abuse of Facilities Aggravate Residents: In an effort to end the rowdy parties on the beach, the Lordship Improvement Association voted to close the eight acres of Russian Beach to non-residents. Outsiders have been accused of fiercely abusing the hospitality of beach privileges granted them by the Lordship people. The area has been posted with signs stating; This beach is for Lordship residents only and a special policeman has been hired to enforce obedience of the signs. Another gripe of the Association is that the Lordship streets are being used as speedways by non-resident teenagers endangering the lives of children in that area. At one point the Lordshippers were aroused when they learned that no radio patrol car was in the area when a resident called police to break up a teenage stag party. The regularly assigned car was on duty at the Shakespeare Theater. Because of poor conditions at Short Beach due to erosion and the near disappearance in last years hurricane of Lordship Beach, non-residents have been using Russian Beach facilities.

January 3, 1957: LORDSHIP BEACH SHIFT DELAYED BY LEGAL SNAG: A legal snarl has halted plans to make the Lordship Improvements Association trustee of the Lordship Beach, according to William Erickson, Association president. The plan was suggested by Don Sammis, who for many years has been trustee of the beachfront property. At present, Mr. Sammis maintains the land. It was discovered however that the deed governing the property says the trustee must be a landowner. This will keep the Association from taking charge of the beach. At is last meeting the Association awarded prizes for the Lordship outdoor Christmas lighting contest. Mrs. James Ferguson was the representative of the Lordship Garden Club, co-sponsor of the event.

June 20, 1963: Heard an interesting story the other day from former Town Manager Don Sammis regarding the numerous no parking signs placed along Park Boulevard and thought I would pass it on to residents of Lordship and all of Stratford because it is felt that some non-Lordship residents resent these signs. Seems in 1932, Mr. Sammis complained to the Chief of Police William Nichols about many all night parties along the beach which produced hours of noise and bushel baskets of debris. As a result of this complaint, signs were erected to prevent any further misuse of the area which belonged to the Lordship Park Association. Some time later, the Association planned to deed the property to the Town and there was much talk of erecting a Pleasure Beach including concessions, bathing houses, etc. As a strong objector to this proposal, Mr. Sammis was then presented with the deed and asked to serve as trustee for the property. After several years of serving as trustee for this beach property, which included paying the taxes from his own pocket, ranging from $35 to $200 annually, Mr. Sammis deeded the property over to the Lordship Improvement Association, the local organization which has paid the taxes for the past four years by funds taken in through their membership fees.

RETURN TO THE HISTORY OF LORDSHIP MAIN PAGE:
  • HISTORY OF LORDSHIP MAIN PAGE